Monday, November 3, 2008

College

So, as requested, I'm going to use this post to explain my choice of major...which may be changing soon (I'll explain this, too, so don't worry). I've been ahead of the academic game for a while now, taking AP courses in high school and entering college with 29 credits without ever having set foot in a college classroom. Anyway, apparently being ahead means that twice as many people bug you about picking a major and deciding what you want to do with the rest of your life. I got sick of saying "I don't know" and then getting lectured on what I should be and just decided to say "I'm going to be a teacher" to get people off my back about it. Anyway, math and science (I'm minoring in biology and chemistry) have always been less stressful for me than english and social studies because there is always an answer and there is always a logical way to get that answer that everyone agrees upon. There is none of that symbolic meaning stuff in math and none of that cultural controversy of his side, her side in science. I like that. Plus, as an added bonus, those are the subjects most needed to be taught at the moment. I feel that I picked well.

The one down side to being an education major is that my income isn't gonna be that great. You don't become a teacher for the money. You become one because you like what you do. And I do love to pass on my knowledge to others and teaching seems a great way to do that. However, if I wanted to be ambitious, there is another possible career choice in Actuarial Science, where I could be making like 150K a year when I get out of college. I'm not sure about it yet, but I'm thinking about it. I don't know much about the degree yet but I do know it's all math and logic and people skills are very much appreciated in that business. (Most actuariarys are nerds...a little theater flare would give me an advantage). Anyway, it's late so I'm gonna hit the sack. There you are Caitlin, the reason I'm getting the degree I'm getting...or not getting as the case may be. Nunight everybody, ttfn!

~Linna <><

3 comments:

Tori said...

Hmmm. I hadn't heard all those dets. about the last part! Cool beans. You're so smart, you can do flippin' anything. Hopefully see you saturday, right? <3 LOVE YA!

Linna said...

Yeah, the actuarial thing is new...we'll see what happens

~Linna <><

Tori said...

So what was your favorite (or one you REALLY enjoyed) theatre experience?

Trying to give you fodder for writing :-D (fodder--random word lol..)
loooveya!